HIPAA AND CONFIDENTIALITY
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) requires the complete privacy and confidentiality of the Protected Health Information (PHI) of our consumers.
• Never photograph a consumer. Do not post names, identifying information or photos on social media or via text (including Snapchat, Instagram and Facebook).
• Never talk about specific consumers or disclose any PHI such as consumer’s name or diagnosis when discussing your experience at Nurturing Weapons & Dreams.
• If you see a consumer in public or coincidentally know a consumer socially, never disclose publicly that you know the consumer or that they receive services at Nurturing Weapons & Dreams.
• Only seek from staff the minimal amount of information needed to carry out your assignment.
• Do not record consumer’s PHI such as name, date of birth, phone number or social security number on any forms or reports that you may need to turn into your school or organization.
• You may only access PHI of consumers for whom you are volunteering. Do not ask or seek information about other consumers.
• Be aware of surroundings when discussing a consumer or asking staff for additional information. All communication should take place in a private location.
• When disposing of any documents containing PHI, use the “Shred-It” containers.
• If you have any questions regarding HIPAA or situations regarding the care and management of the PHI of our consumers, please contact our Privacy Officer, Shadonna Crittenden, at 317-515-2920.
I understand that while I am a volunteer at Nurturing Weapons & Dreams I may be given a volunteer assignment where I have access to Protected Health Information (PHI). PHI encompasses all information about the consumer, including:
• Medical Record Number
• Date of Birth
• Social Security Number
• Email Address
• Telephone or Fax Number
• Behavioral Plans
• Clinical Information
• Lab Reports
I understand that I am to keep in strictest confidence any information that I may gain in the course of my volunteer assignments.
I agree to refrain from any communications or action which could identify or cause harm to the consumers about whom I may receive information during the course of my assignment here at Nurturing Weapons & Dreams.
I understand that breach of this confidentiality will result in the termination of my volunteer status and may result in subsequent civil and/or criminal penalties.
I understand that a copy of the Nurturing Weapons & Dreams Volunteer Handbook is located on the Nurturing Weapons & Dreams website. I acknowledge that the current Volunteer Handbook supersedes any and all prior handbooks or policies of Nurturing Weapons & Dreams. I understand that the information contained in the Volunteer Handbook constitutes management guidelines only, which may be added to, deleted or changed from time to time at the discretion of Nurturing Weapons & Dreams. I acknowledge that I accept full responsibility for acting in accordance with the policies contained in the Volunteer Handbook.
UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS & EXPOSURES
Wash your hands frequently. Do not touch anything that may be contaminated with blood or bodily fluids. Do not give first aid or CPR. If you are accidentally exposed to blood or bodily fluids of any kind, immediately notify staff and ask for assistance. Remove any contaminated clothing without contaminating the rest of your body. Such clothing must be laundered or disinfected before it can be taken home. Wash any exposed area of your body immediately with soap and running water. If your eyes, nose, or mouth are splashed with blood or body fluids, flush them with large amounts of running water. Report your exposure immediately to the Nurturing Weapons & Dreams staff and the Volunteer Coordinator.